For every ten tons of coal mined from the Smelt Colliery, 170 tons of clay was extracted for the brickworks to produce Silica bricks for the steel furnace construction and for of Fireclay bricks.
This page was last updated on: October 31, 2017
The GW ran the Wrexham & Minera branch past the Caello Brick Works in 1862. Exactly 100 years later the clay was still being got to the works by horsepower along the original course of a 50cm tramway. The horse does not seem to care where he walks. M.E.M Lloyd.
Caello (calf field), fireclay had been worked from the No1 Pit in the Smelt since 1853 and in 1860 Caello Brickworks commenced operation
Mr. Frank R. Jones working at Caello Brick Works in the early 1940's
He died in 1960.
Frankie Owens has taken the picture below of from the same spot the picture in the newspaper clipping was taken. Spring 2005.
Looking from the Wern to Cae
llo by Frankie Owens Spring 2005
Looking from the Wern to Caello by Frankie Owens Spring 2005
Getting ready to blow it down.
Blowing the chimney down...